Ice Cream | The Thandur

 If you have access to a fig tree or own one yourself, you are aware that the season is brief but delicious. In the beginning of July, where I currently reside in Florida, it is basically just around two weeks. During those two weeks, everyone who can get their hands on fresh figs makes it their mission to eat every last one of them and not let any of them go to waste.

A few years ago, I wrote a piece about having friends who kept their harvests to themselves, despite the fact that they owned fig trees. In exchange, I threw dinner parties with a fig-centered theme for them. At the event before the one we just had, David, Mark, and I started with figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto as an appetiser. For the main course, we had figs in a caramelised onion chutney that were used to top a burger with goat cheese and arugula on a pretzel bun, and for dessert, we had this stunning fig tart.

Due to the fact that my friends were forced to cut down their fig tree, I was out of figs for a couple of years. But they have just moved into a brand-new house that comes complete with a gorgeous fig tree in the backyard that is bursting with fruit. You can image the joy I had when I realised I will soon have access to fresh figs again.

But the highlight of it all was when they recently had me over to their brand new home for a dinner party with a fig-centered theme. They faithfully recreated the menu that we enjoyed so much many years ago, right down to the fig cocktails and the same outstanding pie. Mark was overjoyed that his very first attempt was successful, and I couldn't be more pleased for him.

cocktail with figs cocktail with figs

fig skewersGrilled fig, goat cheese and prosciutto skewers

fig burger



Fig chutney and goat cheese piled high on a burger.

mark figMark and his delicious-looking fig tart. mark fig

That evening, in addition to having a full stomach, I took a large quantity of fresh figs with me as I left. The first thing I did with them was make some of my standard fig jam, which I then gave to my family and several of my close friends.

fresh figsfig jamI also made a savoury fig chutney and froze it in Ziploc containers in tiny portions for later use. Now, whenever I throw some pork chops on the grill, all I have to do is pull a bag out of the fridge and I'll have a delicious Indian food sauce ready to go in a matter of minutes.

savoury fig chutney I also discovered that my dog Boz has acquired a love for figs this year, so he was my constant kitchen helper while I processed all of my harvest. fig chutneyI also discovered that my dog Boz has developed a liking for figs this year.

But I decided that this year I wanted to experiment with the figs in a different way. Because of the current heat wave, I immediately thought of frozen treats and decided that fig ice cream would be the best option. Because the salted caramel ice cream that I prepared the previous summer was one of my favourite desserts, I decided that it was about time that I used the ice cream maker that is now 36 years old. It always amazes me that it continues to function even after I plug it in.

ice cream manufacturing device

Ice cream with honey and roasted figs.

To view a printable version of this recipe, please scroll down.

Based on the recipe in Delicious Everyday

Makes 1 pint

Prep time: 30 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

Time spent inactive: forty-eight hours

Regarding the figs:

  • 2 cups of fresh figs, cut into fourths

  • 1 teaspoon of honey in total (I used a bourbon infused honey which was amazing)

  • In regard to the ice cream:

  • 2 cups of regular milk

  • 2 cups of full-fat cream

  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

  • 6 big egg yolks

  • a third of a cup of sugar

  • Put the milk, cream, and vanilla extract into a large saucepan, and bring the mixture up to a boil.

foundation for ice cream

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the egg yolks and sugar while the mixture is heating up. Stirring the ingredients together with a whisk until they begin to become slightly more cohesive, gradually add the milk mixture to the egg yolks. Proceed gently in order to prevent the eggs from becoming scrambled. This process is referred to as "tempering."

bringing ice cream closer to room temperature

a frozen dessert made with eggs.

After pouring the mixture back into the saucepan, place it back over a medium-low heat and stir it while doing so. At this point, quality Indian food you should verify the consistency by inverting the spoon and running your finger through the substance that has coated the spoon. If the line that you make with your finger does not cloud up, the custard is ready to be served. The French word for this is nappe.

basis for ice cream that has been cooked twice

ice cream with the consistency of nappe

The custard should be chilled in the refrigerator for at least one night after being poured into a big bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and then refrigerated.

cooling of the ice cream base

Put a roasting pan in the oven and preheat it to 400 degrees while you line it with parchment paper. Honey and figs are first mixed together in a basin, and then the fig mixture is distributed evenly around the roasting pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sugar has caramelised, and then remove from the oven and leave aside to cool.

figs and honey figs that have been roasted

After the figs have been allowed to cool, they should be put into a food processor and processed. Place in a jar, then place in the refrigerator to chill.

The next day, you will need to pour the ice cream base into your machine and churn it in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

ice cream prepared by churning

When the ice cream is about ready, add the pureed figs and let it churn for an additional minute so that the flavours may fully incorporate.

ice cream loaded with dried figs

Once everything is done, pack it into a large container that is safe for the freezer, cover it, and freeze it overnight before serving.

ice cream that has been churned with figs

a container for ice cream

The leftovers are excellent on their own the following day!

bowl of ice cream You could even take your fig obsession to the next level and serve it with this fig syrup drizzled over the top.



Fig Syrup

Since this was merely an experiment on my part, I don't have a certain recipe that you need to stick to; therefore, you are free to experiment with this. I cut approximately 2 cups worth of figs into fourths, laid them out on a sheet tray, and roasted them in the oven at a temperature of 250 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Indian Food in Markham I wanted to get the figs to be a little more dry, so I didn't add any sugar to the roasting process like we did when we roasted the figs for the ice cream, because I knew that later they would be combined with simple syrup.

I put the roasted figs on a sheet tray and roasted them in the oven before adding them to a simple syrup that I had created by mixing equal parts sugar and water. I then let the mixture simmer over low heat for about half an hour.

figs in syrupAfter they had cooled down, I put the fig combination in a jar and let it to chill in the refrigerator overnight.

figs soaking The following day, I put everything in my Vitamix and processed it until it was smooth. fig syrup vitamix The end product was a thick syrup that was delicious (but not overly sweet), and it was the ideal consistency for drizzling over ice cream made with figs.


Comments

  1. Good job
    keep it up
    https://carservice-autoshop.blogspot.com/
    you can also check my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE BEST INDIAN FOOD TO TRY IF YOU'RE NEW

Do you want to give your beard the ability to grow while also giving it a pleasant smell?